Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Some Simple Rules

The week has begun.  


It is good to be back on the road.  Having been off for a month I am again becoming re-acquainted with those that either know traffic laws and choose to avoid them, or are so wrapped up in themselves that they really do not care.  A couple of simple things to follow here.


1.  Turn Signals.  I know these are antiquated devices and serve no real purpose, but lets look at this wonderful invention and how it should be used.  When you are on the entrance ramp to the interstate highway, it is the law, that you must use your turn signal.  While it is understood that you are entering the interstate, this is also a courtesy that says, "I see you", here I come.  If you are using your turn signal, and it is safe for me to move over, I will give you room.  On the other hand, if your phone is glued to your ear and you are holding it with your signal hand, and you just come charging out and expect me to move over, then forget it.  It is your job to safely and legally merge with traffic.  This means set the phone down, or put down the fat pill that you must eat while driving and use your turn signal.  As far as I am concerned it is your desire to drive on the shoulder of the road.  Also, it takes me a little while to make a turn, when you see my signal on as you approach me head on, and we are both making left turns, then please use your signal so I may begin my turn instead of having to assume that you are going straight.  Again, I know, you are on a most important phone call with Publisher's Clearing House, but please use your turn signals!!!!


2.  Directions.  With all of the technology out there today, there is no excuse for last minute lane changes to catch an exit ramp.  I know that I drive slower than you do, however, you can wait the extra 5-7 seconds behind me until it is time for you to safely and LEGALLY exit the highway.  It really makes me angry when I see you behind me, you jet out to my left side, then pull a Dale Earnhardt and cut me off not knowing that you are 3 seconds from death.  You do not know what is in front of me or what the condition or traffic flow is on the ramp.  If you hit your brakes in front of me like that, understand, you have just written your obituary, because I cannot stop 80,000 pounds in 50 feet.  If you see that you have missed your ramp, continue forward on the interstate and take the next one and come back.  Trust me, unless you are at the end of the highway, there is another ramp ahead.


I am a courteous driver, I expect you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment