Thursday, September 12, 2013

MY THOUGHTS ON 9/11

September 11, 2001 marked the first time that the American Homeland had ever been attacked.  It was a day that brought about great change in America and in its people. Since that day the greatest of American Treasure, our sons and daughters have fought, been wounded, traumatized, and killed in an effort to bring about retribution on those who would do us harm. Do not be fooled, we are no safer today than we were then.

Today, on September 12, 2013 I want to make a couple of simple observations. Notihng too deep or complicated. Nothing political or what I would really consider controversial. I just want to bring forth two ideas and ask for your feedback on these ideas.

First has to do with the display of our National Flag, our stars and stripes. I know that the norm now is to fly the flag at half mast for the day to commemorate the loss of that frightful day.  I would propose a couple of alternatives, each of which would require possible revisions to the flag code.  I think this day deserves more than a remembrance of the loss that day. I think this day deserves a recognition of the greatness of the United States of America and her people.  I would like to see a modification of the flag code to allow the flag to be flown at full mast with a gold streamer.  The gold streamer would represent the loss of the day but the flag remaining at full staff as a symbol of strength and determination that we will not be brought down.  The other possible alternative being to fly the flag at half mast until noon and then raised to the top.  This would allow us in the beginning of the day to mourn and remember what was taken from us, but then would allow us to display our courage in the face of great evil.

Secondly is the "National Day of Service".  This has gotten completely out of control and has become nothing but another government program.  It was originally started as a non-profit and should have stayed that way. It was begun in 2002 by volunteers, however that soon changed. In 2009 Congress got involved and charged the government entity created by Bill Clinton, the CNCS(Corporation for National Community Service), to lead the efforts and provide money to people to serve.  I do not believe service should be about the government providing tax dollars to give to people to make them volunteer.  I am all for a Congressional edict declaring a national day of service, but I do not think it needs its own government department.  Once again, this was a great idea started by well meaning people that has become a monster.  Service should be from the heart and only the results seen. A program designed to recognize the server and not the served is an injustice.

OK so I got a little political with the last paragraph, sue me.  I just hate to see a good thing watered down.  Take care my friends and please email me at knilsen63@gmail.com or send me a tweet @knilsen63

No comments:

Post a Comment