Thursday, January 20, 2011

Courtesy

In this day and age, when it is all bout me and right now, courtesy has gotten lost.  And it is not the men in this case.  I hold the door for lots of folks.  Twice today I held the door for female truckers, neither of them said thank you.  What?  Is there an expectation that I should and do not deserve a response?  If I say good morning to you, can you at least respond?  Tell me to go to hell, I don't care, but try to be friendly if possible.  Here is a little tip to make some people feel human, if they are wearing a name tag, call them by name.  Instead of just saying thanks when the waitress brings the coffee, take the time to look at her nametag and call her by her name.  It almost always gets a smile because you noticed.  I have really started practicing this and it makes a difference, whether it be a waitress at a truckstop or the worker at The Home Depot.  Instead of just passing by someone and keep on walking, try a good morning or good day, maybe that little bit of attention will make their day because someone they are thinking about is not thinking about them.  Courtesy requires very little effort but pays great rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment