Friday, April 26, 2013

A Few Thoughts to End the Week on

It has been a whirlwind day today. It started in Kingman, AZ and has finally ended in Amarillo, TX, just a mere 743 miles. It has been a day that started with sunshine and had a raincloud of bad news of the passing of Mr. George Jones, The Possum. It has been wonderful to have Sirius/XM radio and get to hear all the interviews with some of the greats in country music tell their stories of the man they loved.

I am not by nature an environmentalist by any stretch. I actually consider myself more of a conservationist and am growing into that mold more and more each day. traveling East of Flagstaff AZ though there is a disturbing scene taking place. Like most guys, I love to be behind a nice pair of jeans, especially if they fit well.  One of the popular styles is the stone washed jeans, as they fit and feel nice. If you are wondering how do they get that look and feel, well, I'll share it with you.  The stone in stone washed is actually pumice stone.  It can be found in abundance in volcanic fields.  I was disturbed a little as I drove by on I-40 and have really been noticing a hill disappearing, literally.  It is strip mined, or in this case it is surface mined and they are removing an entire series of hills to provide the product.

As you can see from this photo an entire hill is being stripped away just for a fashion statement.  There is no reclamation possible here.  In the case of a lot of surface mining for coal, reclamation takes place on a daily basis.  I'm just providing this information for some of my environmental friends as they protest in parks wearing their stonewashed jeans.

On another note, I did say yesterday that I would share a photo of the trailer I am pulling from Burbank, CA to Laval Quebec Canada. So here you go!


Enough for today, see you on the other side!!



No comments:

Post a Comment