Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sitting and Waiting

I do not sit well.  This is one of those weeks that over the road drivers are just resigned to accept.  This major storm has impacted most of the country by the time I write this.  I have been sitting since yesterday.  I picked up a new tank trailer in Laredo, TX going to Plattsmouth, NE.  The snowstorm that impacted north TX, all of OK, and parts of KS and NE,  has delayed my trip by several days.  The state of OK has very little clearing equipment and chemicals.  This causes really long delays in clearing roads and rendering them safe.  


Are you a driver of a vehicle that just refuses to watch the weather or feel you are so important and well skilled that you can drive in 3 inch per hour snow and 40 mph winds?  It really is amazing that people are so foolish and then the National Guard has to come out and rescue you off the interstate that is now closed.  There are a large number of vehicles, cars, trucks, and big trucks that are stuck on the turnpikes in OK today.  I will allow the auto drivers to be stupid.  However, I give no sympathy to the truck driver that allows himself to be caught in a storm like this.  There are multiple options available for drivers to get weather and road info.  Please do not tell me your dispatcher said you have to do it or you will be fired.  If a dispatcher tells you that, then go to the nearest bus station, clean out your truck, go home and find a job with a safe company.  No one should work for a company that operates unsafely.  There is absolutely NOTHING in or on a trailer that is worth your life.  If there is an emergency and it really needs to get there, then airplanes and helicopters work very well.  I firmly believe that if you voluntarily went into the weather and had to be rescued, then you should be required to pay for your rescue.


Well, at least I have my laptop, books, Sirius radio, and can go inside and watch TV.  While I have these diversions, sitting is still no fun.  I am much better off when I can get out, take a walk, go find something to do,  When it is this cold, we are having sub zero windchills at night, it is really tough even to get out and walk to the building to go to the restroom.  I would be happy if the sun would come out for a while.  Well, I guess it is back to reading and playing games.  Enjoy your day and be safe wherever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment